We love to help.

Wir helfen gerne.

What do I need to know about taxes?

RV rentals in the U.S. are typically subject to two types of taxes: income tax and transactional tax (sales tax, motor vehicle rental tax, etc.).

Income tax

If you earn money renting out your RV, whether through a company or as an individual, you may have to report your income and pay income tax. You can factor these costs into your nightly rate on Outdoorsy, if you like.

For the 2023 tax year, you’ll get a 1099-K tax form from Outdoorsy if you meet either of the below requirements. We’ll also send a copy to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). 

  • You had 200+ bookings and received more than $20,000 in reportable payments in 2023.
  • Or, Outdoorsy withheld taxes from your payouts for some or all of 2023.

You can locate your earnings at any time in your Dashboard

As always, you should consult with a tax professional to determine your actual tax liabilities. You may be able to reduce how much tax you owe if you keep track of certain expenses. 

If you’re in tax withholding, you probably don’t want to be. Tax withholding is a risk. You may not get credit for the tax payments since they go to the IRS without your tax information. So, log in to Outdoorsy and complete your W-9 in the Tax docs section of your account. It takes about 5 minutes.

This gives us the tax information we need to stop withholding income tax from your payouts.

Transactional tax

Outdoorsy may be required to collect transactional taxes on your vehicle bookings, depending on the state where you keep your RV. 

Depending on the state or locality where you keep your RV, you may also be required to collect and remit certain transactional taxes (such as sales tax or motor vehicle rental tax). 

For more information, check out our sales tax FAQ.

Outdoorsy does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. Business reports are prepared for informational purposes only and are not intended to provide, or be relied on, for, tax, legal, or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.