Wellness isn’t something to be done sparingly. It’s something to be done as part of a routine that’s part of our daily lives. That’s because the right wellness habits lead to things like longevity, strengthened immune systems, greater creativity, better sleep, and so much more.
And because we’re the Outdoorsy folk up here, we felt it only fitting that we should add our voice to the wellness mix by repping the benefits of outdoor time in your wellness routine.
To keep it easy, we put together a list of 12 ways you can add the outdoors to your wellness routine. Read on to see the simple ways you can bring the outdoors into your mental well-being.
Why build an outdoorsy wellness routine?
Adding outdoor time to your wellness routine brings a bunch of health benefits to your life. Here are a few examples:
- Reduces anxiety — Anxiety is a persistent problem in today’s noisy world. And it can have serious impacts on your health like high blood pressure and heart disease.
Even short bits of regular outdoor time are known to significantly reduce anxiety.
- Creates mental clarity — Anytime you’re feeling brain fog at your desk, a healthy outdoor bath can help clear it up.
- Provides vitamin D — Getting sun for 5 to 15 minutes 2 to 3 times per week is all you need to get enough of this vitamin that’s vital for bones, blood cells, and your immune system.
- Improves your sleep — Cells in your eyes need light to get your internal clock set right. Early morning sunlight gets your body’s clock wound like it should be, leading to better sleep.
- Boosts creativity — Stuck on a project? Short bursts of outdoor time help create rushes of creative juices.
12 ways to bring the outdoors in on your wellness routine
Now that you know why an outdoor wellness routine can improve (and even save) your life, let’s check out some of the easiest ways to add the outdoors to a daily wellness routine.
- Add the outdoors to your morning routine — Take your coffee and/or breakfast on an outdoor patio, add a morning constitutional to your regimen, or just get out and smell the flowers. Morning air is terrific for you and helps you program your internal clock for better sleep.
- Take lunch outside — Even if it’s colder out, it still pays to bundle up a bit and have your lunch in an outdoor locale. Nature will help you reset your brain and heart for the second half of your day.
- Jump into a winter sport — It might be cold and snowy where you are, but you can still add the outdoors to your wellness routine. Sports like skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, fat tire biking, winter hiking, and more are splendid ways to keep the blood flowing.
Check out this list of RV/campervan-friendly ski resorts we put together to help you out.
- Mix in an outdoor workout — Gyms are great and all, but the body needs outdoor workouts too. Check out these outdoor workouts you can add to your routine.
- Bring houseplants into your office — Sounds simple, but they’ll freshen your air, boost your mood, and improve cognitive function.
Want plants but don’t have a green thumb? Try things like succulents, air plants, or other easy-to-care-for greenery. You can even sign up for a beginner-friendly quarterly plant subscription.
- Practicing mindfulness outside — Mindfulness means being present in the moment in front of you without letting your mind wander to the future. That’s easier said than done in today’s world that constantly asks us: what’s next?
Take it outside, find a tree to lie against, and Slow. It. Down.
- Elemental connection — Ever noticed how a campfire touches something deep in your soul? We figure that’s because it connects with parts of us that go way back to the beginnings of humanity.
Water, fire, and earth. These are all things that restore us because they’re basic to who we are. Get yourself near them regularly to improve your wellness.
- Nap outside — Naps boost brain health. Pack a blanket in your backpack and set out on a nice day to take a short nap under a tree, next to a babbling brook, or in some other peaceful outdoor locale to next level your mental well-being.
- Hiking and biking — Hiking and biking trails are available in just about every community in the U.S. Take advantage of any trails that are near you and add regular excursions to your routine. Not sure where to start? The AllTrails app is a solid place to start window-shopping for your next hike.
- Connect with animals — Animals help relieve stress, depression, and anxiety. You could hit up a petting zoo, a cat cafe, or even go to a park to feed birds or ducks. Find some way to add wild animals to your nature bathing because they’re a bright light for mental health.
One of the best ways to seek animals is via an RV trip to places like national and state parks. You’ll see things like bison, turkeys, deer, and elk depending on where you roll.
- Plan a camping vacation — If your vacation plans typically revolve around planes, trains, and automobiles, why not change it up this year with an outdoorsy vacay?
We make it super easy with RVs for rent in every part of the country. And many of our owners offer delivery and setup so you don’t even have to tow the camper yourself.
A camping vacation makes it easy to combine many of these elements of outdoor wellness into one trip — from campfires to water to wildlife and so much more.
- Create an outdoor patio/dining area — If you don’t already have an outdoor patio/dining area at your house or apartment, try to create one. Even if you just set a table next to a breezy window, you’ll go a long way to bringing outdoor wellness into your life.
And if you go RVing this becomes even easier because many RV campgrounds feature built-in patios that you can roll your awning over to create a peaceful outdoor gathering space.
Wellness needs to be a part of our daily lives. The outdoors is a natural place to pursue your mental and physical well-being because it offers so many opportunities for restoration and rejuvenation.
Take some of the tips above and start weaving them into your rhythm today. And if you feel so inclined, we have RVs for rent that are begging you to get out there.